Monday, May 12, 2008

Red Headed Stranger

Brewery: Lovejoy's Tap Room
Location: Austin, TX
Serving: Imperial Pint
Style: Irish Red
ABV: ?

I have been exploring the different pubs and taprooms of Austin trying to find a place to fill the Sportstime void that will soon be in my life. This place is at the end of the horrible row of 6th st. bars that remind me of Bourbon St. or Downtown Nashville. It's not actually on 6th and doesn't seem to have much in common with them though. The blacked out windows and the lack of much in the way of a noticable entrance aren't exactly tourist friendly. It's a nice dumpy place with some pool tables and a juke box kind of like the mag bar but without the charm. They had a pretty good selection of drafts and they brew 4 of their own beers. I ordered the Red Headed Stranger because the description intrigued me. I took the deep amber pint to a couch to sample. It had a nice toasty malt aroma with some hints of fruitiness. The hops stand out much more than I expected in an Irish and that is a god thing. This beer was pretty damn tasty. It has a nutty malty flavor that finishes with a nice bitter fruity hop bite. I don't really see myself hanging out at Lovejoys but I might pop in take home a growler of this beer on occasion.


Rating: B+

No comments: