Friday, May 16, 2008

Kirin Ichiban

Brewery: Kirin Brewery Company
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Serving: Pint
Style: Japanese Rice Lager
ABV: 4.9%

After an early departure from the daily bump and grind at work, I've finally made it to the Maido Happy Hour. What better way to celebrate than some fresh sushi and a brew. The first pint was put in front of me and the first thought was "is this a Bud Light?". A clear beer very much resembling the "American" style had very little, quickly disappearing head and had a scent that was easily forgettable but a taste that was quite refreshing. Not a favorite but fitting for the dinner.

Rating: B-


Josh's take

A visit to Maido for Happy Hour always leads me to a pint or two of Kirin. It's not my favorite Japanese beer, that would probably be Sapporo or Asahi, but it's on tap and that always trumps bottles for me. Our crystal clear golden pints arrived out on the sunlit patio to accompany our appetizer. They had a decent head that disappeared rapidly. Very little smell pretty much sets up the taste. Not much going on but decent flavor. If there was an Asian Pabst this would be it. I know that these beers aren't the greatest but I don't really look for that when I'm eating sushi. I like to taste the sushi and wash it down with a beer that quenches my thirst but doesn't knock out the subtle sushi flavor.

Rating: B-

No comments: