Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fat Tire Amber Ale

Brewery: New Belgium Brewing Inc.
Location: Colorado
Serving: Pint & (6) Bottles
Style: American Amber
ABV: 5.2%

I love this beer. I am going to get that out of the way to begin with. Fat Tire cannot be sold in Kentucky or Indiana, the two places I predominantly find myself drinking. It is torture knowing it's out there but just out of reach. I took full advantage of the availability of it on my trip southwest. A midday break, I think I'll have a Fat Tire. Time to call it a night, I think I'll watch some TV and enjoy a Fat Tire. This pbj is making me thirsty, I think I'll pour a Fat Tire into one of these custom plastic Super 8 cups and wash it down. You get the idea.

One night, Lauren and I managed to wander into a bar called the Blind Pig on 6th St., boy was that a mistake. Mr. Joe Vega was playing music. Joe is a Latin American fellow with an acoustic guitar and a large set list that he takes requests from for $1. Some of the tunes we were fortunate enough to enjoy were, Wanted Dead or Alive, Black Magic Woman, Creep, and 867-5309 Jenny. An eclectic mix. The old woman playing air guitar seemed to really love it. The only thing that kept me sane was my pint of Fat Tire. The light amber pint was like a lighthouse beacon on the stormy sea. The smell of baking bread and some sweet flowers drifted up my nose taking me to a happier place. That first sip flooded my mouth with sweet malty goodness accompanied by some bitter hops and a hint of fruit. I hate to use the term drinkable but this beer is most certainly that. Very easy to quaff and quite refreshing.

* fun fact - New Belgium was the 1st wind powered brewery in the US.

Rating: A

No comments: