Monday, June 9, 2008

Brutal Bitter

Brewery: Rogue Ales Brewery
Location: Newport, OR
Serving: Draft/Imperial Pint
Style: Imperial ESB
ABV: 6.5%

There were several new brews on the board at Prost and it was hard to choose one to try after the Scotty Karate. Donnie started off with one of these and after sampling it I couldn't pass up a pint of my own. The pint was a really nice looking orange/red with a small white head that disappeared quickly. The smell reminded me of an IPA aroma but turned way down. The taste was not what I expected with an Ale calling itself "Brutal Bitter". There was definitely a hoppy flavor with a bit of citrus but not even close to overpowering. It strikes a very nice balance with the malts. I am a big fan of English bitters. It's nice to be able to set down and enjoy a beer that doesn't wear you out. The offering from Rogue was a great twist on that. I feel like I could have sat down and had quite a few rounds without getting blitzed.


Rating: B+

No comments: